Best Home Basestation Antenna for Either 50 Watt Midland or 50 Watt Wouxon?

GMRS4TheWin

Question

I have a Midland MXT500, and a Wouxon 1000G. I would like to use them with power supplies and setup a base station in my garage. The only antenna I have is a Midland MXTA26 (6DB Gain). It works, but I would like a better antenna for home use to maximize my FARS (perhaps a Fong or Comet). I can put it in my attic, or on the outside of my home as long as it is under 20 feet. Thoughts? Thanks! Mostly for repeater use.

24 answers to this question

Comet 712efc another vote.  Best antenna i have found in the price range.  With my 20w base i get well over 200 miles from it.   Mounted only 30 high.    Every single person i know in real life that has had a fong has tossed them in the trash and purchased a comet 712efc.   

Comets are very popular.  

Just be aware when comparing gain figures that some makers give them as  dBi and some as dBd.   The dBi ones will be higher; over-simplifying,  it is because of a different way of measuring, but the important thing is to compare "i" to "i" and "d" to "d"   The more conservative "d" rating is a bit more realistic, (usually about 3 units lower) and a good maker will be sure to let you know which they are using.

I tried the comet CA-712EFC and it was a dud! I sadly had to send it back due it being defective. A side-by-side test against the Tram 1486 showed it failed miserably. This was a total let down as I really wanted that antenna to work. I am considering getting another when this batch is replaced with a new production run. I know I'm the only person on Earth that had a bad Comet.

2 hours ago, nokones said:

Can't go wrong with the brands used by Public Safety agencies if you want reliability, longevity, performance, and cost-effectiveness over a long period of time.

If you buy cheap, you get cheap. You don't see Public Safety agencies using some of the cheap antennae previously mentioned.

I have to agree with that. My friend bought the same model Comet a day after I bought mine and his works perfectly. Sample variation sucks worse on cheap consumer goods than it does with the pro stuff. 

5 hours ago, tcp2525 said:

I have to agree with that. My friend bought the same model Comet a day after I bought mine and his works perfectly. Sample variation sucks worse on cheap consumer goods than it does with the pro stuff. 

Got it. This is helpful. But, what is a pro version of this antenna that Public Safety uses?

On 4/1/2024 at 3:46 AM, tcp2525 said:

I tried the comet CA-712EFC and it was a dud! I sadly had to send it back due it being defective. A side-by-side test against the Tram 1486 showed it failed miserably. This was a total let down as I really wanted that antenna to work. I am considering getting another when this batch is replaced with a new production run. I know I'm the only person on Earth that had a bad Comet.

No, it happens with any company. I bought a Comet SBB-5 that had a high (4.5:1 or so) on one band. Unfortunately I bought it from a private party to save $12 compared to the best retail price I could find. 
I emailed the Comet distributor and they diagnosed that it sounded like a bad capacitor in the base unit. I could have sent it in to be serviced, but instead I bought a new base for $24. It works perfectly. 
I like Comet antennas and if I ever figure out how to disassemble this base unit I’ll fix it. 

5 hours ago, Sshannon said:

No, it happens with any company. I bought a Comet SBB-5 that had a high (4.5:1 or so) on one band. Unfortunately I bought it from a private party to save $12 compared to the best retail price I could find. 
I emailed the Comet distributor and they diagnosed that it sounded like a bad capacitor in the base unit. I could have sent it in to be serviced, but instead I bought a new base for $24. It works perfectly. 
I like Comet antennas and if I ever figure out how to disassemble this base unit I’ll fix it. 

Yes, I never had any issues with Comet. I will definitely be purchasing another this fall. Hopefully by then it will come from a different production run. Plus, I prefer tower climbing in the colder weather.